Sunday, 21 July 2013

MY GOLDEN FISH

It was a summer noon. I was  having a nap in my bed room, listening to a melodious song on my system…….Suddenly I heard some heavy sound from the adjacent living room. Rushing there I noticed that my fish bowl has fallen down and shattered into pieces.

 “Oh God..! My goldfish..!” It was wriggling on the floor as if it was going to take its last breath...

To my dismay, I found one little girl wearing a shabby frock, in the corner of my room, looking terrified. With her head down she was standing as if she has committed some colossal offence.

With immense fury, I yelled, “who are you? How you entered my home?” 

“Look up, you little Rascal, you came here to steal my goldfish?” I clamoured at her.

She then raised her face and stared at me with fear in her lifeless eyes.

“Don’t keep staring. Quick, I want my goldfish alive and cleanup my room. I am not going to spare you if my goldfish dies.”  I was quivering with rage.   

After saying these words, I rushed back to my bed room. Looking at the photograph of my mother with tremendous grief....I wanted to scream. 
“Sorry Maa, I lost my precious gift today”…..I stood there for some time dumbfounded...

My reminiscence took me back to my childhood days…

I was a 5 year old lad who was very crazy about fishes.  My mother used to take me to the big bungalow of the Land Lord where she was working as a maid. I was fascinated by the big Aquarium in the drawing room of that bungalow with colorful fishes. I used to observe those big, beautiful fishes for hours while my mother was busy at her work.

One day I was watching the aquarium and playing with a goldfish. The goldfish was very naughty. He looked at me and winked. He came to the top of the water and showed me his lips as if he wanted to kiss me, invited me by waving his wings. I became crazy! I put my hand inside the aquarium and tried to touch the goldfish……

        Unexpectedly I heard an enormous voice of range   “YOU son of…@$<>.., How dare you to touch my costly aquarium!?” The Son of the Land lord was fuming and slapped me very hard at my cheeks. He caught me from my ears and pushed me out of the house.

”Don’t bring this little rascal to this house...else, you will lose your job,” he shouted and threatened my Mom.

My visit to the house came to an end.  I could no longer see that beautiful aquarium which I loved. 

Mamma I want an Aquarium, will you gift me someday?” I kept on asking my Mom….

Being a single parent, it was virtually impossible for her to even provide me good food due to her low income, which she earned as a maid.

            My days were colorless.  I kept crying for many days and asked my mother to bring an Aquarium for me. I still remember the pale face of my mother looking at me helplessly with agony.

          Days passed by. One Sunday evening my mother came rushing home and quickly placed a small glass bowl in my hand with a goldfish in it. She was shivering. I could see tears rolling down her cheeks.

            “Is today my birthday Mamma…? Why you are crying?” She hugged me very tight, kissing my cheeks. “I am crying because I am very happy today” she murmured in my ears.

             I was highly delighted with her love. Overwhelmed with joy, I embraced amma and wiped her tears. I kissed the fishbowl. The beautiful goldfish smiled at me from the bowl. I was on top of the world…. having my own little aquarium… It was really amazing….

            Suddenly, an obese man with terrifying red eyes came into our room. He dragged my mother out of our house by holding her neck and closed the doors from outside. I could hear my mother yelling. The man shouted, “How dare you to steal money from my boss’s house”.  I found her voice fading away.

            She was back home very late that day and kept on weeping. She didn't answered anything instead of my continues enquiry about the incident. She didn't have dinner and compelled me  to have my food. I could see several cuts and bruises on her body. That day she slept on the bed holding me very tight to her.

            The sun rose as usual as every day. But my mother didn't wake up. I heard a police officer who came along with his team saying that my mother has committed suicide.

            20years passed since the fish bowl was with me in every path of my life right from the orphanage till this day at my official residence. It persisted as an everlasting memory of my mother, the symbol of her boundless love. Today, this little damsel has ruined everything. I have lost it forever.

After some time I was back to the living room and to my wonder I found the little lass still sitting on the floor cleaning my room. She cleared up all the glass pieces. I could see blood clotting her tender fingers; tears shedding get very busy with her work. My goldfish was playing in a new tumbler on the table.            


            She stood up and looked at me timidly, wiped her tears, ran out of my house crying.  I followed her outside my house and I called her back but she didn't stop.

         
A sound which I heard from my home caught my attention.  When I stepped in to the house I saw a big cat jumping out of the living room.

            My eyes caught sight of a small card lying on the floor. It read like this. 

The bearer of this card is deaf and dumb. She lost her parents in a road accident when she was merely 5 years old.   
 Presently she is undergoing treatment at our hospital.
People of kind heart may please donate her.”

Dr John MBBS DNB DOMNAMS
                                        St Joseph Hospital, Cochin, Kerala

I hastily ran out of my house in search of the girl.
Reaching on corner of the road I saw her in a very long distance.

“Hey girl….! Stop, Come back” I shouted, forgetting that she is deaf.

The girl stopped and looked back, as if she heard me.
Reaching my room with the girl, I looked at my mother’s photograph.

 I felt she was smiling at me. As if she said, “You have got one more goldfish to take care of………”


                                                                                         --   Biju Raj




42 comments:

  1. Hi Friends,

    I am Biju Raj Surendran. 'My Golden Fish'is my first story in blogger. This story will take you to the love, care,sacrifice and struggle of a poor mother..
    Please read and send your valuable comments as you did to my previous story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Biju,
      heart touching n gud literature.
      Nice 2 have friends like u who r allrounders n excel in every field they enter into.
      Keep going

      Delete
    2. Thanks Krishna Kumar Sir for you comment

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Nishant for your valuable comment

      Delete
    2. Biju sir,
      this story is touched to my heart,realy great.

      Delete
  3. Thank your Nitin Rathore for your comment

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piece of literature.It will surely touch anyone deep in their heart should they read it with the affirmation you intended to imbue on readers.
    Very nice work. Please notify on facebook if you write more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Vishnu I m glad to know that your read my story and liked it. I will notify you in facebook about my new writings. plz read my stories and let me know your valuable remarks about it... thank you so much

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Raj Kumar sir for your comment..

      Delete
  7. Dear Biju,

    The narration is superb and the climax also. Moreover the story line is genuine. But the middle period of the story is nothing new and even I guessed the story line after reading first few paragraphs except the climax. It's not for discouraging you as you have done a commendable job in the narration of a simple story but as genuine critic and as friend, I have to write what I felt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens when the story is genuine

      Delete
    2. Hi Gopa sir,
      I am extremely glad to know that you have read my story very critically. I really loved the way you expressed your opinion about my story...As you know that I take every thing in a positive way ......I like commending frankly rather than commending for sake of comments...so as a friend and a critic what ever you said I am taking it in a very positive way and I will bear this valuable points in mind when I write my next story....Thank you so much for your valuable comments. Plz keep supporting me as u does always....
      Ever loving ...Biju

      Delete
  8. fantastic........loved it. all the best for upcoming stories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice dear ,good job keep it up ......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Anil for your valuable comment

      Delete
  10. Dear Biju Raj...its a heart touching story and above all Real one...us everyone have some heart touching stories...the Best Part is Love, we shd have in our lives...Did you purchased her one Big Golden Fish which was destroyed by that Cat...Please do take care of girl, wherever She is...Brilliant Story... With Love... Harpreet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Harpreet Singh Sir,
      Its nice to know that you liked my story and it touched your heart...The characters of this story are imaginary but it has got many similarities to some of the people we know....The duff girl in this story is one of my chess friends(sorry I will not mention her name) whom I love like my own sister....her expressions, in a tournament when she came to know that she is paired against a 'blind player'hurt my mind...(I helped her by deputing one of my best friend to announce her move later) I took the innocent features of that girl in this story....the story of mother is some thing related to the life of one of my close friends..so its all related to each other now......thanks for your support..

      Delete
  11. Dear Biju, Cant say it is at par with RK Narayan but a good effort for sure. I am not a writer myself but yes, i like short stories and have read many. The writting need a little refinement and patience. As you read on, a feeling comes as if the writter is in a hurry (May be you need a little improvement on selection of words). Pl dont mind, i am not an expert. Theses comments are just from a fan of yours and a common reader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir for your valuable comment ..I am taking all your remarks very positively..think you so much for spending your valuable time for me...be in touch and keep advising me...........
      ....
      lovingly, Biju Raj

      Delete
  12. Biju etta....

    Really nice one...i enjoyed it badly..eagerly waiting for more... all my best wishes..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hai, this is it,,,,,
    You have got one more golden fish to take care of………”

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Roy for your valuable comment..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello sir,
    Reading "My Golden fish" was like reading some renowned author.
    great work to establish yourself as a writer. I relate you to The Paulo Coelho.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Praphull for reading my story and commenting. Your comment is a true encouragement for me...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful...! Heart touching...!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much Priyadarshan Banjan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Superb, Great feelings!!!, I am also now thinking of my Childhood days.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much Palaniappan Kasi sir.

    ReplyDelete